- They have a range of subgenres that caters to diverse audiences.
- Their format allows people at home to play along or get involved.
- They create enigma effectively.
Using examples, and developing the statements above, explain why TV Game Shows is a popular genre.
TV Game Shows worth studying
The statements in Question 1 can be taken from the following topics:
- The host (popularity and how he/she leads the show)
- The mise-en-scene of the show (with potential connotations)
- The way the contestants are represented (linking to audience appeal)
- The format of the show (and how audiences at home are encouraged to play)
- The theme tune of the show and its connotations
- How the show uses synergy
- How the institutions use convergence to enhance popularity of the show
- How the show creates enigma
- Is you show syndicated? Link to popularity of show_______________________________________________
Start with an introduction:
"The genre of TV Game shows has been successful for a long time, TV schedules (both Public Service Broadcasts [BBC] and commercial channels [ITV, C4 and Sky]) are filled with this kind of genre of programming, especially at peak times. Some of the most popular game shows in the UK range from different subgenres, such as dating (Take me out) to quiz (Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) to activity oriented (Total Wipe out), ensuring that there is a game show to suit all kind of audiences. The longest-running TV Game show in the UK is Countdown, currently broadcast in C4. There is one TV channel in the UK that broadcasts TV Game Shows 24/7, and this is Challenge TV, available on Sky.
There are many elements that make TV Game Shows a successful genre, amongst them are the 3 statements included in the question."
Addressing the statements:
Start stating that you agree with the statement: "One of the reasons TV Game Shows are successful is because they have a range of subgenres that cater to a wide target audience. For example, Take Me Out is a dating show currently broadcast in ITV (..........) and it attracts people from the XXX demographics, this is because... . Another example is Who wants to be a millionaire, a quiz show; the demographics for this show are... and this is different to the demographics of dating shows because... Other examples of subgenres are: activity oriented and panel shows".